Please be advised that the proposed new Technical Safety Regulation, including the Elevating Device Schedule, has been posted for public consultation on the Manitoba Regulatory Consultation Portal. You can find the proposed Regulation via the following link:
This project will be available for public comment until midnight on February 1, 2023.
The proposed Elevating Device Schedule, which is part of the proposed new Technical Safety Regulation, is intended to modernize the way that elevating devices, including elevators, escalators, manlifts, ski tows, etc., are regulated. These changes will help to ensure the safety of this equipment, and will reduce the red tape and administrative compliance burden to industry.
Key changes related to elevating devices include:
- Clarifying and streamlining permit requirements
- Changes to mechanic’s licensing requirements
- The adoption of more recent equipment codes and standards including:
- ASME A17.1/CSA Code B44-Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators (2013 version)
- CAN/CSA Standard B355-Lifts for Persons with Physical Disabilities (2015 version)
- CAN/CSA Standard B311-Safety Code for Manlifts (2002 version)
- CSA Z98-Standard for Passenger Ropeways and Passenger Conveyors (2014 version)
- CAN/CSA-Z185-Safety Code for Personnel Hoists (1987 version)
Please submit your comments and feedback through the Portal and feel free share this information with anyone else you think may like to provide feedback.